Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chile Plus3: Funtivities (Post 13)


Today was a relatively free/open day that included a final lecture at the university on studying abroad, and open matches in both the Chilean national sport of football and the USA national sport of basketball. The lecture on study abroad in addition to this whole experience really allowed me to confirm desires to study abroad. What country? I am not completely sure yet, but definitely look forward to finding out more about my options.
            After the lecture, we ate a brief lunch than headed over to a concrete football and basketball court. Here, there were goals, hoops, and competitive Chileans playing a match. When they finished, the “gringo” invasion occurred and we all stepped onto the court with some Chilean students to play. Not going to lie, we were looking pretty good; we were scoring goals and at some points possessing the lead. We played for a very long time, scoring a combined 15 goals.
            When we all grew tired of soccer, we decided to switch it up a bit and play a somewhat foreign sport the Chileans, basketball. Us US kids—after being called out about calling USA citizens as “Americans” and that we all, from north to south America, are “Americans” and try to refer to the USA as something besides America—had a dominating performance and had a great time. Playing was a nice break and pretty much the first time since being in the states where we felt 100% comfortable. This game was naturally competitive, as was the football game, and really wiped me out (especially since it’s the first real physical activities that I have been able to participate in for weeks) so I was very excited to head back to the room and shower.
            It is very sad to think that this is the last full day in Chile, but I have so many great memories and experiences that I will carry with me for a very long time. Tonight is a huge dinner at “Diego’s Pizza” with all of the Chilean students and professors. I look forward to having a great time, but do not look forward to goodbyes….wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment